Nobody says it better than one of my favorite artists, “The Boss” Bruce Springsteen in his song “Born in the USA.”
It is great to live in America. One of the things I enjoy most about our country is the enormous range of choices we have in everything, especially in the variety of places to dine out. Although I have ordered and eaten thousands of burgers all over the country, in almost every state, I wanted to try to do the impossible: compile a list of the top burgers in the country.
I realized that it was an impossible task, after months of research, because I had a few hundred ties for first place. To be fair, it was hard to compare just plain burgers. Each region of the country boasted a special type of burger that satisfied local tastes. Who am I to argue with their creations? So, to accomplish this monumental task, I decided I needed help from other experts, rather than just relying on my own experiences. I wanted you to have the opinion and consensus of all of America.
Besides visiting the restaurants and trying the burgers, I also too the opinions of the best~known food editors and gastronomes in all fifty of our United States. Like me, these professionals spend their time dining out and rating the restauants in their areas. (Wouldn’t you like that kind of job?)
To add to our opinions, I consulted the results of the public polls that newspapers conduct to name the “Best Burger” in their town. Other events have included taste tests and cookoffs to determine who made the very best burgers in town.
Obviously this was a task that even Hercules would have found daunting, but with the help of these great people and their publications we were able to compile a “Country’s Best ” list, with more than 200 great award-winning burger restaurants.
If you want to become a burgermeister, keep notes about all the places you eat. Compare the freshness of the buns, meats, and fixings. Look for inventive and tasty new ways that a restaurant serves an old favorite. Every community of any size has some wonderful choices if you are just game enough to go out and try them. For now, we have done some of the work for you.
I’ve updated my 1995 list, from the first edition of The Complete Hamburger. To start you off on your quest for the best burgers in America, here are a few places you can try. Select a state or view all selections.
Best Burgers in the USA 2016
1151 Opelika Road
Auburn, AL 36830
- Niffer’s Place was created by owner Keely Beasecker, an Auburn Alum, who was a star swimmer. Beasecker wanted a place that would service all the Alumni and provide a safe place to have fun and enjoy good food.
- It is a true family place with special areas for kids to be able to have some fun while they eat. The burger selection is awesome and they each have their own special name, although I don’t recommend going for the Niffasaurus (a one and a half pound burger, on a sourdough bun with melted cheddar, mozzarella, pepper jack, and swiss cheeses. Topped with a fried egg and bacon.)
- With 20 different hamburgers on the menu they make it easy to provide a flavor profile for everyone, no matter what your taste preferences and they also offer a black bean burger, a garden burger, and a turkey burger as a substitutable for any hamburger on the menu.
- Butch Cassidy’s Café
60 North Florida Street
Mobile, AL 36607
- Butch Cassidy’s is a sports bar which is known for its exceptional hamburgers. The entire restaurant pays homage to the movie “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.”
- Owner Roy Seewer developed his notable “Butch Burger,” a 9 ounce USDA beef patty that is the winner of multiple awards. All burgers are cooked to order. They are also health conscious and offer the burgers with a side of broccoli or a small salad in place of French fries.
Tommy’s Burger Stop
1106 W. 29th Place
Anchorage, AK 99503
- Tommy’s Burger Stop is a unique place serving USDA Beef from Australia. Each patty is 5.5 ounces that is hand blocked.
- Eleven specialty hamburgers including the “Papa D” covered in jalapenos, pepperoncini, and bell peppers, topped with pepper jack cheese. The R.L.E. is a monster burger featuring 2 patties, jalapeno, mushrooms, bacon, onions and American cheese.
3578 Airport Way
Fairbanks, AK 99701
- Brewster’s has won the “Best Burger in Fairbanks” awards for 11 years in a row.
- Their hamburgers are hand blocked and cooked to order. Try one with their own Alaskan Amber Steak Sauce for a real steak burger flavor.
Red Dog Saloon
278 South Franklin Street
Juneau, AK 99801
- If you enjoy history and the atmosphere of an “Authentic” Alaskan experience, then Red Dog Saloon is the place to go. Originally built during the great mining era of Alaska’s gold rush it has been preserved mostly intact.
- The Red Dog Saloon does not offer a large selection of hamburgers. Their specialty is a great ⅓ pound Angus burger loaded with the toppings you want, and cooked the way you like it.
Rehab Burger Therapy
7201 East Second Street
Scottsdale, AZ 85251
- Take three good friends in the hospitality business, add a family BBQ, and you get inspiration.
- Denise, Ken and Wiley came up with the idea that everyone needs a break. Rehab Burger Therapy was born in 2012 to become a real institution for burger lovers. Eighteen different burger options and some really cool hamburgers like The Porkster, a combination of pork and ground beef. And the PBJ & Bacon Burger, not like Momma used to make, but with memories of growing up.
5350 East Broadway Boulevard
Tucson, AZ 85711
- Monkey Burger is like walking into a fantasy world with lots of colorful art adorning the walls.
- The hamburgers are all ⅓ pound of Angus beef and the creations are fun and unique. The Madness Burger is loaded with Pepper Jack Cheese, Jalapeno, Fajita Peppers, Bacon and a special Tabasco Scallion Aioli. The South Shore is a special burger loaded with 5 spices, pineapple relish, pepper jack cheese and a ginger BBQ glaze. Add one of their gourmet fry selections, and you have a memorable meal.
790 West Broadway Road
Tempe, AZ 85281
- Burger Rush is known for their delivery service as well as their popular burgers.
- All hamburgers are ⅓ pound of USDA beef prepared over a real, Char Grill with mesquite and Applewood smoke flavoring. Choose from 17 specialty burgers, as well as the “Build Your Own” option. The Egg & Bacon Burger is great for anytime of the day. The spicy Ghost Burger will wake you up.
Chicago Hamburger Company
3749 East Indian School Road
Phoenix, AZ 85018
- Bob Pappanduros loves burgers as well as Chicago. He developed Chicago Hamburger Company to blend the two in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Being a fan of the Windy City, Bob has a large hot dog menu as well as some of the best hamburgers around. Bob and his wife developed the Bob Burger, a ⅔ pound char broiled burger topped with, Merkets Cheese, Provolone Cheese, American Cheese, a rasher of bacon, 3 onion rings and their own special sauce.
120 North Leroux Street
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
- Diablo Burger is a unique type of burger joint. They work hard to make sure their hamburgers are fresh and locally sourced from their local, grass fed, antibiotic free beef to their local foods such as; local bakers, vintners, brewers and even cheese makers. This is a true community burger place that involves all the locals it can. Great operation.
Arkansas Burger Company
7410 Cantrell Road
Little Rock, AR 72207
- There is no doubt that Dan Spencer loves hamburgers. He took the plunge to build Arkansas Burger Company, the best burger joint in Little Rock. Dan and his wife have been featured in a number of publications, including Southern Living.
- Here you get an “Old fashioned” burger or cheese burger without all the fancy specials, well that is except for the Greek Burger that manager Chad Kumpuris influenced.
481 South School Avenue
Fayetteville, AR 72701
- Once you enter the big green building, you realize that Greenhouse Grill has upscale written all over it. They do not offer a huge selection of specialty hamburgers to go with their shiitake fries and pan roasted duck breast, but what they do offer is a succulent, grass fed, hormone free burger on a fresh brioche bun.
2120 Grand Avenue
Fort Smith, AR 72901
- Alex and George Catsavis opened a restaurant to carry on a long standing tradition of their family in the hospitality industry. George’s Restaurant is full service restaurant with a dozen specialty hamburgers, from Old Fashioned to the Feta Cheese Burger.
- For the really hungry appetite, try John’s Double Cheese Burger with two patties. All burgers are served open face on a sesame bun. Add some fresh cut fries, and you have a meal to enjoy.
3229 Helms Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90034
- The hamburger at Father’s Office is on enough “Best Burger” lists that it’s reached “duh” status, but it has earned that “duh.”
- The heavily sweet caramelized onion, Gruyere, Maytag blue cheese and arugula sits perfectly on a beef patty, between two sides of a freshly baked roll. It’s a good enough combination that the staff won’t let you substitute any part of it. Ever. And they’re right.
4505 Burgers & BBQ
San Francisco, CA 94117
- Ryan Farr understands meat and as they say in the biz, “He Knows meat.”
- So it is no surprise that 4505 Burgers & BBQ wins so many awards for their hamburgers and BBQ. The burgers are served on a unique, sesame-scallion bun. To stay different, Ryan tops it with Gruyere cheese and a secret sauce. The smoked meats are also awesome.
The Squeeze Inn
5301 Power Inn Road
Sacramento, CA 95820
- Featuring not only great hamburgers but great music as well, the Squeeze Inn is a true burger joint in the best tradition of burger joints. If you like a “Cheese Burger” that lives up to its name, then this is the place for you. It is a ⅓ pound burger grilled on a sourdough bun and topped the way you want it. The Squeeze Inn has been featured on more TV shows and publications than any place in California.
San Diego, CA 92101
- Shane Hardin is following in his father’s footsteps keeping Hodad’s a name to remember. Mike “Bossman” Hardin was a true burgermeister, and his love of good food is legend in San Diego.
- You can get hamburgers in a Mini, Single or Double size for any appetite. The add-ons are what you would expect except for the addition of Pastrami. A unique topping for a tasty burger.
STUFT Burger Bar
210 South College Avenue
Fort Collins, CO 80524
- If you are going to be an exclusive burger joint, you start by being the most complete burger joint you can. Here at Stuft Burger Bar you build you burger as a Single, Double or Triple patty meal. Then add your choice of 9 different cheeses and up to 4 toppings, from 23 choices. Now you are not done, you have a choice of 19 different sauces and 7 different buns to also choose…whew! That is a lot of work and creates hundreds of combinations of hamburgers.
1700 Humboldt Street
Denver, CO 80218
- If ever there was a place that won so many awards when they only have one burger on their menu it is the Humboldt. But what hamburgers.
- Chef Kollin Gately has created a super burger with his Bacon Blended patty made up of Niaman Ranch PRIME beef. The burger is stuffed with bacon, topped with cheddar, onion jam, peppercorn aioli and crispy onions. Nothing else like it.
1606 Conestoga Street
Boulder, CO 80301
- Executive Chef Hosea Rosenberg decided to team up with head butcher Nate Singer and turn the Blackbelly Market butcher shop into the provider of the best hamburgers in Boulder. As you would expect from a butcher shop there are numerous cuts and types of meat to choose from on the menu.
- The Blackbelly Beef Burger is a real standout. Cooked to perfection the way you want it. Topped with Fontana cheese, butcher cut, thick house bacon, hand cut, Kennebec (a special thin skinned white potato) fries and a real dill pickle.
The Green Line Grill
230½ Pueblo Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
- The Green Line Grill brought great hamburgers from the Oakies to the Rockies. This is what Chef Bobby Couch is so proud of. He was an Oklahoma boy who moved to Colorado Springs in the Rockies and brought his favorite Sooner burger with him.
- The Onion Fried Burger is really one of the most unique offerings in the world of burgers, right up there with the Slug Burger of Mississippi. He tops it with “Sweet Mustard Slaw” another unique offering for a remarkable dining experience.
330 East Main Street
Aspen, CO 81611
- We generally don’t consider a hotel to qualified burger joint. But the Hotel Jerome serves the best hamburgers in town. Now add to that a beautiful building, great outdoor seating and of course, Aspen itself.
261 Crown Street
New Haven, CT 06511
- Jeff Lassen is carrying on his grandfather, Louis Lassen’s legacy of making Louis' Lunch a convenient lunchtime restaurant for people in a hurry. This place is history itself. The hamburgers are prepared on cast iron grills from 1898.
- The hand blended steak trimmings and special seasoning make this a flavorful experience. You will love the history and ambience of this century old establishment, as well as the food.
121 Towne Street
Stamford, CT 06902
- Start with a top chef like Steve Lewandowski, add inspiration to his experience, create hamburgers that match your French Chef’s reputation and you have Harlan Social (named after his son).
- The Harlan Burger is what you would expect from a top chef: fresh ground USDA beef, cooked to perfection and topped not just with cheese but a Cheddar Ale sauce and then covered with a bacon onion jam.
2416 South State Street
Dover, DE 19901
- myRestaurant55.com is a true family owned and run restaurant. Dennis and his daughter, Desiree Di Antonio combine good food, fun atmosphere and a great selection of beers to their locally famous hamburgers.
- Their ground beef comes from Witt Brothers, a local butcher. Most of their ingredients are locally produced. They feature a great Santa Fe Burger made with a homemade, root beer BBQ sauce and their Sage Burger is unique in that it is an all pork patty with their special pork seasoning (featuring Sage of course).
4070 Herschel Street
Jacksonville, FL 32210
- As you sit on the back deck of Fishweir Creek, and look out at the nature of Florida, you can forget where you are. Harpoon Louie’s is not your typical Pub Grub place, it has a nice atmosphere with lots of big screen televisions and a friendly bar.
- The menu features hand patty hamburgers made from fresh beef or buffalo…that’s right Bison Burgers. All are cooked your way and accompanied by French Fries, Roasted Potatoes or Onion Rings.
Grille One Sixteen
612 North Dale Mabry Highway
Tampa, FL 33609
- Grille One Sixteen is a place that needs to be listed as the Best Burger in America.
- This ½ pound burger is made from freshly ground Angus STEAK…that’s right they grind the steak trimmings from their New York Strips and Rib Eyes for one of the most flavorful hamburgers you will ever eat. The crafted burger is cooked the way you want it (I eat mine rare and can’t find that many places that will accommodate my tastes) served with thick cut Netsuke bacon, grilled onions, grilled mushrooms and all the standard toppings.
- I can’t say enough about the quality, atmosphere and most of all staff there. It is AWESOME. So if you are in Tampa, and want the best, stop in and tell them Ronald sent you.
Johnny’s Fillin’ Station
2631 South Fenwick Avenue
Orlando, FL 32806
- Johnny’s Fillin’ Station started as a shaved ice operation 30 years ago and has not only survived, but also grown and added a full menu and bar to their operation. Family owned and operated, they have progressed into one of the premier burger joints in a town known for great restaurants.
- They feature 8 specialty hamburgers as well as “Sliders.” Still in the same building where they first started, they are the place to visit when in Orlando (Besides Universal and Disney of course).
350 South County Road
Palm Beach, FL 33480
- Start with an incredible chef like Clay Conley, and add a list of awards that cover a large wall: Travel + Leisure, Boston Globe, NY Post, Conde Nast Traveler, Robb Report, Fodors, Miami Herald, Complot, USA Today, Travel Channel and Wall Street Journal.
- Forbes Travel Guide’s “hottest spot” in Palm Beach, Esquire’s “Where to Eat in South FL Now,” Open Table Diner’s Choice “Top 100 Hot Spot Restaurants in America.” Now add two James Beard Award nominations for Best Chef. Now ask him to make the best hamburgers possible at Buccan, in one of the country’s richest and most finicky communities and what will you get…the Best Burger possible.
Michael’s Genuine Food & Drink
130 Northeast 40th Street
Miami, FL 33137
- Like any great Chef, Michael Schwartz knows that great starts with the best possible fresh ingredients and then prepared to the best possible perfection. That is his recipe at Michael’s.
- Hamburgers at Michael’s Genuine Food & Drink use Black Angus beef from the famous Harris Ranch, lightly seasoned and served on a Brioche bun. Always with fresh condiments and cooked your way.
528 Front Street
Key West, FL 33040
- What a team we have here! Pat Croce, former President of the Philadelphia 76ers and acclaimed Chef Tommy Cote got together and created the Rum Barrel. This restaurant serves over 150 varieties of Rum as well as exceptional hamburgers.
- The fire grilled Barrel Burger features a half pound, Angus beef patty on a toasted roll, cooked your way and dressed like you want.
905 Juniper Street
Atlanta, GA 30309
- Atlanta is known for a lot of fine dining places all throughout the city, so it’s nice to find The Lawrence, a place that serves old fashioned hamburgers, with a little twist. The Larry Burger is a unique treat.
- The patty is USDA ground beef and USDA ground pork blended together. Each patty is 3½ ounces, and there are two on every burger. They are then covered with American cheese, bacon, pickles, caramelized onions and Larry’s own special sauce and mustard. A messy, but delightful treat.
1204 Broad Street
Augusta, GA 30901
- In many towns you can find burger joints, many of them are chains or franchises that just replicate what everybody else does. It is wonderful to travel to Augusta and find burgers with some real flavor.
- At Farmhaus Burger we found a very nice selection of specialty hamburgers, as well as a broad grouping of toppings to build your own burger. The B and B burger was a favorite of ours, made from hand blocked Angus beef, grilled the way we like it, then topped with Point Reyes blue cheese, heirlooms smoked bacon, caramelized onions, and of course Duke’s Mayo. They also make a great wild turkey burger, with organic ground turkey with the diet conscious.
543 Cherry Street
Macon, GA 31201
- Macon Georgia might be a small town, but they don’t take second place to anyone in Atlanta when it comes to flavor.
- The Rookery serves typical southern fare and mighty fine hamburgers, many named after Georgia’s most famous personages including: the Allman Brothers, Jerry Reed, Jimmy Carter, James Brown, Ray Charles, Dr. John and Johnny Jenkins.
- My favorite was the Rookery Burger: two Angus beef patties, American cheese, caramelized onions, mustard, pickles. I did not try the the Coca-Cola catsup, though even if it was interesting knowing that Georgia is the birth place of Coke. Add those southern style onion rings made with sweet Vidalia Georgia onions, and you have a real winner.
255 Village Parkway NE, Suite 120
Marietta, GA 30067
- Moxie Burger serves gourmet hamburgers. This is what happens when you get a group of locals together, who want to build a great burger place. Chas D’Huyvetter started Moxie Burgers. He must’ve done something right, because he added two units with working partners since he opened in 2011.
- Moxie Burgers contain 6 ounces of Angus beef. I love burgers, and the Cadillac really caught my eye. This is one of the few places I have ever found that served a 6 ounce, house seasoned, ground lamb burger… That’s right, lamb! It was topped with sautéed mushrooms, caramelized onions, goat cheese and a special Creole chili sauce for one of the most unique and tasty burgers you’ll find anywhere.
B & D Burgers
11108 Abercorn Street
Savannah, GA 31419
- The only thing I am sorry about with B & D Burgers, is that David Tonroe did not build one closer to my home in Tampa, Florida. For a guy who was never in the restaurant business, he sure came up with a winning concept.
- B & D Burgers serves ⅓ and ½ pound hamburgers, in your choice of USDA Angus Beef, Bison, Elk, Turkey or vegetarian. And it’s not just the burgers, you must try the gator fritters on your visit. They were a real treat.
- My favorite was the Mighty Eighth, named as a tribute to the Armed Forces. The combination of chargrilled ground elk patty topped with goat cheese and hand battered, Vidalia onion rings was great. Cooked just the way you like it, for a very unique flavor change.
4211 Waialae Avenue E-1
Honolulu, HI 96816
- I don’t generally include chain type franchises in my burger selection. Some of the most unique burger joints are the small mom-and-pop’s in the out-of-the-way places. But I had to make an exception for The Counter Custom Built Burgers.
- The Counter takes burgers to a new level. Their hamburgers are made with 100%, hormone free, Angus beef but they don’t stop there. They offer a ground turkey burger and an organic bison burger. The Holy Crab is my favorite. Jumbo lump crab meat covered with jalapeno jack cheese, tomatoes, fresh jalapenos, coleslaw and their own homemade thousand island dressing served almost on a warm Hawaiian bun. Yum, what a treat.
74-5450 Makala Boulevard, Suite E112
Kailua Kona, HI 96740
- Open Daily 10:30am – 9pm
- When Chef Makani made the decision to make a true Hawaiian burger he pulled out all the stops. Ultimate Burger serves hamburgers made from fresh, 100% grass fed, free range beef, grown on the island in Hawaii and seared over a charcoal brazier. Chef Makani added flavor and created a healthier selection at the same time.
- All ingredients are locally grown and delivered fresh to the restaurant daily. The ultimate double-decker is a great meal: two ⅓ pound beef patties topped with fresh lettuce, fresh tomatoes, Chef Makani’s special ultimate sauce, topped with your choice of Tillamook Cheddar, Gruyere Swiss or Gorgonzola Cheese (no plain American cheese here on the big island), and placed on a bakery fresh brioche bun. Chowing down is a vacation.
Highlands Hollow Brewhouse
2455 Harrison Hollow Lane
Boise, ID 83702
- Highlands Hollow Brewhouse is my favorite place in Boise, Idaho for hamburgers and beer.
- The smell of the fresh bread is enough to get your taste buds moving. You can be sure the burger you are about to eat comes from hormone free beef.
- The Avalanche is a unique surprise for a burger lover. It starts with the USDA Angus beef patty served open face and covered with black beans, pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream and pepper jack cheese then covered with a cilantro lime sauce. What a combination! Add to that Master Brewer Cris Compton’s in-house brewed Pale Ale, and you have a winning combination any time.
216 First Avenue South
Nampa, ID 83651
- Open Mon-Sat 10am – 10:30pm
- Blazen Burgers is not a fancy dining restaurant, but it is a place where you can get darn good hamburgers to satisfy your craving.
- Top their quarter pound burger with a choice of two of your favorites including: ham, bacon, mushrooms, grilled onions, avocado, cheddar, Swiss, Monterey Jack, American, pepper jack, jalapenos and pineapple slices. It’s hard to believe anyone could go in and not be filled up by a burger they like.
Owen & Engine
2700 North Western Avenue
Chicago, IL 60647
- When you think of hamburgers you very seldom think of English pubs in the same thought. But in this case Chef Bo Fowler has made us change our opinion.
- Owen & Engine combines beef brisket, short rib meat and ground chuck from local farms to create awesome hamburgers. Burgers are served on a fresh baked, in-house potato flour bun with English chips (really just our french fries with a fancy name), caramelized onions and a very unique malt vinegar mayonnaise. Add to that a wide selection of domestic and imported beers, and you have a delightful dining experience.
1015 Essington Road
Joliet, IL 60435
- Hamburgerseria is a small, serious hamburger joint. Elina Trianu and Chef Jose Reyes have created a very cool and down to earth hamburger place that is great for the entire family. The walls were covered with reprints of old Chicago Tribune stories that are complemented by cold beer and hot hamburgers.
- You will find a wide variety of hamburgers. Order them in quarter pound, half pound or a giant 1 pound version, all served with Jose’s fresh made chips. My favorite is the unique Italiano burger, half pound patty covered with fresh mozzarella cheese, roasted red peppers and then slathered with the great Italian marinara sauce. When you’re in Joliet, stop by and say hello to Elina and enjoy a great burger experience.
1550 East Oakton Street
Des Plaines, IL 60018
- I know Des Plaines Illinois is famous for hosting Hamburger University for McDonald’s, but when you want great hamburgers you need to go try American Wildburger.
- First you start with choosing what type of meat you would like; a single 6 ounce, 2 patties or an 8 ounce Wildburger Patty. Now it’s time to decide what type of meat you want; beef, turkey, chicken or bison. Now you are asked to choose what type of bread you would like; Egg, Pretzel, Whole Wheat or Gluten-Free (all baked fresh daily). Now it’s time to choose your cheese; American, Swiss, English cheddar, Italian Provolone, Italian Mozzarella, Pepper Jack, crumbled Bleu Cheese or smoked Gouda.
- There are lots of condiments to add, from the basic to the refined and a large selection of in-house made sauces. Try adding the wild fries to your order and I guarantee you’ll walk out full.
Charlie Parker’s Diner
700 North Street
Springfield, IL 62704
- Mike and Cindy Murphy have turned Charlie Parker’s Diner into an award-winning machine, with accolades from TV shows to travel and tours magazines, as one of the best places to eat in Illinois. Located in a 1940s Quonset hut the atmosphere is nothing but fun, and the food will definitely make you smile. Although their reputation is primarily built on their awesome breakfasts you can’t deny the quality of their grilled hamburgers.
- Burgers are ⅓ pound of USDA choice beef in either a single or double patty version and served with potato chips. I personally like the Barnyard Burger: a ⅓ pound patty covered with bacon topped with a fried egg, and served on a pretzel bun. Add a little mustard, and you got a great delight.
Farren’s Pub & Eatery
309 North Randolph Street
Champaign, IL 61820
- If you really want to have a good burger you’re going to have to search hard when you’re in Champaign Illinois because Farren’s Pub & Eatery is not easy to find. But once you’re there you’ll be glad you did. This nice little pub with a broad selection of microbrew beers and some the best hamburgers in the neighborhood, is exactly what owner Carolyn Ferrin first dreamed of.
- The burgers are big and sloppy, served on brown kraft paper. Hamburgers are served with tricolor tortilla chips, but you can easily ask for their hand cut house fries, fresh fried potato chips or even the fresh grated onion rings, to round it out. No fancy specialty burgers here, just traditional hamburgers and cheeseburgers with a decent choice of toppings.
1401 North Main Street
East Peoria, IL 61611
- Dining at the Burger Barge is more than just having a meal. Your stress dissipates as you sit outside at a bar known as a beer garden overlooking the Illinois River. After a couple of cocktails and one of their fantastic hamburgers, it’s easy to feel like you could just take a nap, but in doing so you would surely miss too much.
- Burger Barge has burgers to fit any taste. Their selection of burgers served on buns to burgers served on Texas toast, are awesome.
- My favorite is more than a mouthful and guaranteed to make you ask for a take-home box. It’s the famous Kraken Burger and I guarantee you’ve never had anything like it anywhere else. Start with the all beef burger topped with a fried onion ring, lettuce, tomato, cheese sauce and their specialsauce. Now place that between two bacon grilled cheese sandwiches made with American and Swiss cheese, and you have more than you can handle in a single seating.
1904 East Broad Ripple Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46220
- It’s always nice to see small burger joints that are owned by people who really like hamburgers and not just the standout clones of many franchise chains. Boogie Burger is that kind of place, simple and unrefined atmosphere, good music and an aroma from the chargrilled that makes your mouth water when you walk in the door.
- One of the most popular burgers is the New York New York: a ⅓ pound all beef burger stacked high with grilled pastrami and Swiss. My favorite is the Cluck & Moo, a ⅓ pound burger cooked the way I wanted. This delight was topped with a grilled chicken breast then topped with cheddar cheese and bacon. Now add a little mayonnaise and some fresh lettuce and you have a real dining treat.
Bar 145° Fort Wayne
4910 North Clinton Street
Fort Wayne, IN 46825
- Bar 145 Fort Wayne is not a place to stop just for hamburgers. It’s way too much fun. The name comes from the fact that their medium rare burgers are cooked to exactly 145° in the center. As true burger lovers like Robbie Lucas the head chef, they have a huge variety of options for you to choose from to make your own burger. Choose from 10 different artisan cheeses, 14 house made sauces, and 23 different toppings.
- My favorite is their Montecristo, a chargrilled hamburger patty topped with thin sliced ham, a nice Brie cheese, pineapple fruit preserve and powdered sugar and served on a red pepper garlic bread. Does that sound awesome?
115 Cross Point Boulevard Suite 4
Evansville, IN 47715
- I generally do not choose a franchised operation for my best burger selection. But Wayback Burgers felt more like a mom-and-pop owned location.
- The menu is simple. The hamburgers are good, and when you tie those together with one of their awesome milkshakes you got a really nice meal. My favorite was the barbecue crunch, two patties cooked the way I wanted them, and covered with homemade potato chips with the barbecue flavor American cheese and their own barbecue sauce. It was a crunchy delight.
Brick City Grill
2704 Stange Road
Ames, IA 50010
- Brick City Grill is a true sports bar loaded with atmosphere and filled with the excitement you would expect from Iowa State University sponsors. Their selection of hamburgers is broad and creative with a lot of your own standard favorites, all made from fresh, never frozen, USDA inspected Angus beef.
- There are a number of unique offerings that are fun to try such as: the Belly Burger made from ground pork belly, served on a toasted brioche bun with chunky peanut butter, American cheese and bacon. Another favorite is the 60/40. This is a gut pleaser no matter how you look at. 60% fresh ground beef and 40% ground bacon, grilled to perfection and topped with American cheese, bacon, homemade bacon mayo, lettuce, tomato and onion. This is one of the burgers that has to be cooked medium well for safety sake, because of the pork.
615 Third Street
Des Moines, IA 50309
- Here we are in the middle of Iowa, in the city of Des Moines and we stumbled across Buzzard Billy’s, a restaurant far away from the city of New Orleans, and yet it brings a flavor of that Louisiana Cajun city to Iowa. Owner Dan Massoth built the place with not only the best hamburgers in the state, but also some of the most exciting food: from Louisiana alligator fingers to Shrimp Gabrielle. Buzzard Billy’s offers a huge menu with all types of seafood and Cajun food, besides their exceptional 100% Angus beef burgers.
- For a unique treat try the Ragin’ Cajun, a ½ pound Angus burger mixed with Louisiana’s best fresh ground Andouille sausage. Now charbroil it and add jalapeno pepper, Muenster cheese, jalapeno bacon. Enjoy it on their fresh-baked jalapeno bun, and you will know what Cajun heaven is like.
4860 Clifton Avenue
Wichita, KS 67216
- Chris Rickard didn’t expect to be in the burger business is whole life but that is how it turned out when his Dad, Paul passed away. Chris has made Bomber Burger a place that you need to stop at if you are in Wichita or just visiting.
- Burger Bomber has one of the BIGGEST hamburgers around with its Double Cheeseburger weighing in at 24 ounces after cooking. Wow…that is a mouthful. Chris uses only fresh ground USDA chuck and you can get your burger cooked to order.
Blanc Burgers and Bottles
10583 Mission Road
Leawood, KS 66206
- Ernesto and Jenifer Perlita wanted the best burger joint in Kansas City. They achieved that goal with their award winning Blanc Burgers. One of the fun things about Blanc Burgers is that they are always coming up with new and gourmet hamburgers served as their “Daily Grind.” The burgers are not what you will find at your usual burger joint, they are truly GOURMET. The chef inspired recipes and high quality ingredients have made this a popular dining place. They serve Angus as well as Kobe beef for their burgers, and they even make their own condiments from scratch.
- I suggest you try the Au Poivre Burger for a real steak like experience. A black pepper encrusted Angus patty, grilled your way, covered with watercress, green peppercorn sauce, caramelized onions and served on a pepper brioche bun. Now that is unique.
The Burger Stand
1601 Southwest Lane Street
Topeka, KS 66604
- Topeka has gourmet hamburgers at The Burger Stand. They have the best Kobe Beef Hamburger in the area, served with truffle butter, pickled red onions and a tomato aioli for a real big city taste.
- The Habanero Cactus Jam is also awesome on their Fire burger. You will find a full bar with a lot of character, to match their food offerings. Get an order of their delicious truffle Fries to go with that Kobe burger.
Grind Burger Kitchen
829 East Market Street
Louisville, KY 40206
- One of the best ways to find a great burger joint is to ask around town. “Who has the most passion for hamburgers in Louisville?” When you get enough answers, it is time to go and see for yourself.
- Jessie and Liz Hout have that type of reputation. They built the Grind Burger Kitchen with passion. They have won numerous awards and recognition. The burgers are fresh as are all the toppings and they will prepare it your way.
1780 Scottsville Road
Bowling Green, KY 42104
- It is obvious that Double Dogs was started by dog lovers, since the meals are served in dog bowls. Here you can find hamburgers for every taste and sometimes a burger that is unique and awesome, the Big John.
- This burger combines my favorites. Start with a USDA Angus beef patty and add a second one. Now top it with two all-beef hotdogs that are split and grilled, then cover it with a rich chili, American and Cheddar cheese, onions, tomatoes and mustard and mayo and you have a real monster meal.
Papa & Company
545 East Washington Steet
Shreveport, LA 71104
- When in Louisiana you expect things to be big, and so it is with Papa & Company All the hamburgers are ¾ of a pound and made from fresh ground sirloin.
- The Cajun burgers are exceptional, but for a real man’s challenge there is the Big Papa Burger. Five patties, each ¾ of a pound stacked on top of each other for a monster meal. If you want a real treat ask for your burger to be covered with the brown gravy and onions, delicious.
Jack Daniel’s Bar & Grill
777 Avenue L'Auberge
Lake Charles, LA 70601
- When you visit a casino you expect them to have great drinks and lots of entertainment choices but you never expect them to be one of the best burger places in America. Jack Daniels Bar & Grill is located inside the plush L'Auberge casino. Here the chef prepares a number of special hamburgers on a regular basis, but the ½ pound, USDA Angus beef burgers are all hand blocked and grilled to perfection.
- My favorite is the Working Jack, a ½ pound burger topped with thick cut, applewood smoked bacon, thin, fried onion straws and plenty of pepper jack, cheddar and beer cheese sauce, served on a toasted sourdough bun. Add some crispy tater tots and smack your lips. The Challenge burger is a real challenge with seven patties stacked high, that’s right 7. If you finish it is FREE.
Nosh Kitchen Bar
551 Congress Street
Portland, ME 04101
- Nosh Kitchen Bar is known for their juicy hamburgers. Their beef is grass fed, from their own farms in Nebraska. Nosh Kitchen Bar has a number of great burgers and of course you can build your own.
- I liked the New York influence they used to make a truly unique burger, The Slab. This is not a burger but a fantastic meal all in one. They start with their USDA beef patty and place it between two pizza slices with provolone cheese and red pepper marinara sauce for a burger like you have never had before. Who else can put two of our favorite foods together in a single meal, Pizza and Burgers?
115 Maine Street
Brunswick, ME 04011
- When you are on a search for the “Best” of anything, you must look in every corner for that hidden gem. In this case if we were looking for a seafood place we could throw a rock and hit one. But to find an exceptional burger, well that is a different story.
- Richard’s Restaurant is known for the Best German food in Maine, but we found they are also the home of the best burger as well. They have a great variety of hamburgers and we need to remember it was from Hamburg, Germany we first got the burger. The Bavarian Burger should meet any burger lovers need. A 6 ounce beef patty, covered with bacon and then topped with cheddar cheese, sautéed peppers and onions and a spicy Bavarian mustard.
Nocturnem Draft Haus
56 Main Street
Bangor, ME 04401
- When Gene Beck made the decision that Bangor needed an upscale bar in one of the coldest places in America, he moved forward with the Nocturnem Draft Haus. From an awesome selection of draft beers to the over 100 varieties of vodka, the bar is exceptional and as classy as you can get anywhere.
- But the food is another area that Gene wanted to be world class. The hamburgers are all from local, grass fed beef and all Angus, served fresh and hand patties. The char broiled Nocturnem Burger is served with a covering of Chimay cheese and caramelized onions. Great for a cold winter night.
21 North Eutaw Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
- That old saying ‘Less is More’ holds true for the Alewife gastropub. Chef Cyrus Keefer keeps it simple and sweet with American food and his Double Burger.
- Two Angus beef patties cooked just the way you like them, add smoked gouda cheese, sautéed onions, hickory smoked bacon and crisp arugula. Add mustard and mayo and you have a happy mouth and a filling meal. The atmosphere is as upscale as the food.
The High Spot GastroPub
305 High Street
Cambridge, MD 21613
- The High Spot GastroPub is a no nonsense, English style public house. The High Spot has a super selection of beers and a comfortable old world atmosphere. Their hamburgers are simple.
- Build Your Own from toppings to cheeses so there is never a question of getting what you want. You can get chips or a side of their homemade mac and cheese on a bakery fresh bun. Great presentation and great tasting.
1395 Washington Street
Boston, MA 02118
- Rebecca and Seth collaborated on The Gallows after spending years in the hospitality industry. Knowing the business has allowed them to offer some great hamburgers, and some that are unique to their place such as The Carpet Burger.
- Start with a big, juicy patty cooked your way and top it fried oysters (yes, Fried Oysters), aioli, caramelized onions, lettuce and pickles and you have an explosion of different tastes. The curried mussels are also a real surprise for the seafood lovers.
The Fix Burger Bar
108 Grove Street
Worcester, MA 01605
- When you are looking for a burger fix, The Fix Burger Bar is the place. It offers hamburgers, burgers and more burgers in: Chicken, Yellow Fin Tuna, Bison, Turkey, Pork belly, Kobe and Grass Fed Beef, Salmon and Lamb.
- Add to that 40 different toppings and 14 specialty burgers like the incredible The Splurge. A ½ pound of real Kobe beef covered in French Foie Gras, Expresso / Ancho cured bacon, brandy flamed mushrooms, gruyere cheese a special blackberry-champagne BBQ sauce and served on a Brioche roll. I guarantee you have never had anything like it before.
Boston Burger Company
1105 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02138
- When we think burger joints we seldom think of Boston as being the home to some of the best hamburgers in the country. Paul and Sebastian have created a place that deserves the honor of being mentioned as the Best in Boston. The Boston Burger Company has a huge variety of specialty burgers, and a Build your Own burger with loads of toppings to choose from.
- My favorite has a real Southern flair to it, The Artery Clogger. A juicy Angus beef patty beer battered, deep fried, topped with bacon, American cheese and spicy BBQ sauce. Now that a different kind of burger.
Cornerstone Barrel House
1456 Woodward Avenue
Detroit, MI 48226
- Cornerstone Barrel House is a joint, albeit a classy joint in Detroit that features a broad selection of whiskey and slim selection of hamburgers, but what they offer is exceptional.
- The Barrel Burger is a blend of chuck, sirloin and premium cuts of prime beef. It is cooked to perfection and served covered in cheddar cheese and their own house made barrel sauce with lettuce, tomato and onion slices.
53 Commerce Avenue Southwest
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
- Stella’s Lounge is a hot spot for fun. If you want to try their burgers for lunch, you need to go on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday because they don’t open until 4 PM on the other days of the week.
- Stella’s is famous for the stuffed hamburgers. The Stella Blue stuffed with blue cheese. The Government Cheese is stuffed with Cheddar, and topped with American.
Krazy Jim’s Blimpy Burger
304 South Ashley Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
- Any place that has been around for over 60 years is doing something right and Krazy Jim’s Blimpy Burger is doing burgers right. All the hamburgers are made from fresh ground, USDA chuck and hand blocked.
- These burgers come in a single, double, triple, quad and quint. The quint is 5 burger patties, for ½ pound of meat on a single sandwich. From there you build your own burger with your own toppings which includes 5 types of cheese.
23700 Michigan Avenue
Dearborn, MI 48124
- Miller’s Bar is a unique type of burger joint that has been around for over 70 years doing the same brisk business in hamburgers.
- They use fresh ground round USDA choice beef. The burgers are old fashioned and always juicy.
119 Washington Avenue North
Minneapolis, MN 55401
- When Haute Dish says haute cuisine they mean it. But their Beer and Burger for $10 is a real deal and worth the visit.
- The ground beef is seasoned and comes cooked the way you want it. It is served on a buttered and toasted bun so it doesn’t soak up all the fine juices. The sesame topped bakery bun adds to the flavor and is perfect for those cold winters nights. But it is the hamburgers that make the difference. They do that well at Haute Dish and do for a nominal amount.
410 Saint Peter Street
St. Paul, MN 55102
- Meritage is an airy, French brasserie infused with light. Add to that the talents that Chef Klein brings to the restaurant and you have an exceptional burger.
- The Meritage House Burger is made with hand formed grass fed beef, coated with an aioli, shallot confit and emmenthaller cheese on a bakery roll and served with European pomme frites (French Fries).
Fitger’s Brew House
600 East Superior Street
Duluth, MN 55802
- Fitger’s Brew House is a real, dyed in the wool, no games burger joint. They have a large selection of awesome hamburgers and some you will not find anywhere else. Now that’s saying something. Their specialty burgers are made from Scottish beef grown in their own herd or farm raised Elk.
- When you’re in the mood for something different, try the Whitefish burger or my absolute favorite the Duck Burger. This multi award winning restaurant is worthy of being one of America’s best hamburger places. Plus they brew their own beer…cool.
Sal and Mookie’s
565 Taylor Street
Jackson, MS 39216
- Jeff and Dan had a dream to open a pizza restaurant in Jackson, Mississippi. But they couldn’t get away from their love of burgers so they added hamburgers to Sal and Mookie’s menu. Now they are known more for burgers than pizzas. Sal and Mookie’s is different because burgers are served on a sesame topped, sweet Hawaiian roll.
- The Satriale’s Burger is unique. It is a combination of 25% hot Italian sausage and 75% Angus beef, for a unique burger experience. Now char grill it, and add Italian Prosciutto ham, provolone cheese, sautéed onions and peppers. Now that is original.
Neon Pig Butcher Shop & Café
1203 North Gloster Street
Tupelo, MS 38804
- You can’t get fresher hamburgers than straight from the butcher shop, and that’s what you get at the Neon Pig Butcher Shop & Café. Mitch and Seth are two country boys who grew up understanding the value of “Fresh.” All their meat and produce are from local farmers and they dress them in house.
- Their famous Smash Burger is made from some of the most succulent trimmings of Filet Mignon, sirloin, ribeye with ground bacon thrown for a real Southern treat. A burger to please anyone.
3008 Bienville Boulevard
Ocean Springs, MS 39564
- Woody’s Roadside is a classic burger joint, with a great selection of Angus beef hamburgers. Build your own burger at Woody’s Roadside with a broad selection of addons or you can try one of the specialty burgers they make. The selection is broad enough for any palette and if you want something really different I suggest the Hawaiian Burger.
- The Hawaiian Burger is a ⅓ pound Angus beef burger covered with teriyaki glazed ham, topped with sweet grilled pineapple and then covered in fontina cheese. Add their hand cut French fries, and your belly will be happy.
Stacked Burger Bar
7637 Ivory Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63111
- Burgers, Burgers and more Burgers! That is what you get at Stacked Burger Bar. Here you have a number of choices for the meat you would like: Grass Fed Beef (all locally grown), ground turkey, or the blend (60% beef and 40% pork) and add your toppings to any of those hamburgers. It is not easy when the choices are 72 options. If you can’t build your own super burger from that list of choices you’re not a real burger aficionado.
- “That’s Amore” is a burger I find to be great, the hand formed angus beef patty is cooked to order and covered with sautéed mushrooms, Fontana cheese, caramelized onions and a spicy pizza sauce, served on a toasted brioche bun. The Dictator is my second choice a combination for a super burger. It is a beef patty and a grilled German bratwurst served on a toasted pretzel bun.
Westport Flea Market Bar and Grill
817 Westport Road
Kansas City, MO 64111
- There are many burger joints in Kansas City, but none like Westport Flea Market Bar and Grill. This unique bar and grill is located within a real flea market and they have a reputation for not only the best hamburgers in KC, but also one of the largest in the world. You can get your burger fix with one of the Mini’s they offer or choose the regular 5.5 ounce angus burger.
- If you can be bold, hungry and adventurous you can try (and I mean TRY) the Super Flea Burger. It is made up of 5 patties, each a full 10 ounces cooked and covered with all the fixin’s and serve it with two pounds of curly cut French Fries. This is not only more than a mouthful, but only Joey Chestnut could finish it. Great food, wonderful atmosphere and awesome entertainment, they make KC proud.
Danna’s BBQ and Burger Shop
963 State Highway 165
Branson, MO 65616
- Yes, I know Danna’s BBQ and Burger Shop is a BBQ restaurant, known for having some of the best BBQ in Missouri. However, that doesn’t take away from the fact that Danna’s also has awesome hamburgers. The red and white checkered table cloths let you know they take BBQ seriously, but their Danna Burger is a real treat.
- The Danna Burger starts with a char grilled, 6-ounce, beef patty and then it is covered with their famous smoked chopped pork, now add: lettuce, fresh tomato and sweet BBQ sauce, place it all on a toasted bun and add a pickle on top and you have a super burger.
The Burger Dive
114 North 27th Street
Billings, MT 59101
- Big Brad knows how important a burger is in a State like Montana, where beef is king, and the folks are no nonsense. Brad Halsten is a big guy with an even bigger reputation as an award winning Chef, who builds big hamburgers. The Burger Dive offers over 40 toppings to choose from and 12 specialty hamburgers. You can get your fix on here.
- If you like spicy, I suggest the “Thunderbolt Burger.” ⅔ of a pound burger with pepper jack cheese, habanero and Ghost Chilies. Add Sriracha, Chipotle mayo and a basket of their Fire Fries and you are one hot puppy. Eat it all in less than 10 minutes and you are on the wall of fame and get a t-shirt to boot.
Royse’s Hamburgers Shakes and More
2340 Harrison Avenue
Butte, MT 59701
- Royse’s Hamburgers Shakes and More started out as The Arctic Circle in 1971. In 2008, the restaurant was renamed Royse’s Hamburgers Shakes and More, with the same philosophy and dedication to quality and service. When they say they are a hamburger place, they mean it.
- You can choose from a single ¼ pound Angus burger or double it. If you have a bigger appetite, choose a single ½ pound burger, double it. The hamburgers no matter what size you choose, are always fresh and always cooked to order. Add one of their thick milkshakes and you have a true old fashioned meal.
39 West Main Street
Bozeman, MT 59715
- You know if they have John Wayne looking down at them while they make your burger, it has to be good. Burger Bob’s is a real burger joint and proud of it. They use local beef that is fresh and hand blocked and serve their burgers on a fresh Montana wheat bun. All the hamburgers are cooked just the way you want, and they are juicy and flavorful. It doesn’t matter whether you get the ⅓ pound or the ½ pound version, they are both great.
- The best burger I found was the one they warn you about, the Cardiac Arrest. It is a half-pound of Montana ground beef, four kinds of cheese (and they don’t scrimp on the cheese), sautéed mushrooms, sautéed onions, thick sliced bacon and all the toppings you want. A real heart stopper in many ways, isn’t it Duke?
7900 South 87th Street
Lincoln, NE 68526
- Kevin Knudson has kept Greenfield’s Café a true family restaurant in every way. The food is all fresh, the atmosphere friendly and the menu filled with a great variety. Greenfields is famous for the breakfast menu but the hamburgers are also something to rave about. They use fresh Nebraska grown, lean ground beef and cook it to order.
- The Patty Melt is a favorite with a ⅓ pound burger topped with American cheese, roasted onions, American cheese and placed between grilled, Rye bread (they will make it on a bun if you ask). My personal favorite is their Red, White and Blue Burger. They encrust the patty with cracked peppercorns, cover it with cheddar cheese, crispy bacon, deep fried onion strings and top it with a blue cheese dressing…Yum.
4629 South 108th Street
Omaha, NE 68127
- I love a sports bar atmosphere and when you can combine it with great burgers you have a winner. Brewburger’s Omaha is a place to watch your favorite teams and chow down at the same time. The hamburger selection is AWESOME and you can choose from Angus Ground Beef, Fresh Ground Bison. Ground Lamb or Ground Turkey to suit your tastes.
- The Big Red Burger is a true one pound beast with a ¼ pound of cheese and topped with pickles and onion on a Italian Focaccia Bun, WOW.
- But don’t pass by my favorite, the Inside Out Burger. They stuff the patty with smoked bacon (instead of laying it on top) and the flavor of the burger is unique. The hamburger is topped with aged cheddar cheese and your choice of condiments. You are sure to have a happy belly.
Stella’s Bar & Grill
106 South Galvin Road
Bellevue, NE 68005
- If you like a good story about a historical place, you will love Stella’s Bar & Grill. It is on the fourth generation of management with Stella’s great-great-great niece, Stephanie taking over the reins of the award winning burger joint. All the hamburgers are made from fresh, ground beef and served in a 6½ ounce patty, cooked to order.
- The burgers are perfect for the average person. For the real beast you have to try the Stellanator: 6 Patties, each 6½ ounces, 6 farm fresh fried eggs, 6 pieces of cheese, 12 pieces of crispy bacon, lettuce, tomato, fried onions, pickles, jalapenos and lastly, peanut butter. All of this piled on a toasted bun making it over a foot tall and served with a ½ pound of crispy French fries. Can you believe that Molly ate the whole thing in 3 minutes and 40 seconds?
3200 Las Vegas Boulevard South
Las Vegas, NV 89109
- When in Las Vegas you expect awesome food and there is no shortage of high end burger joints. Every casino seems to feature some kind of special burger to entice their guests so finding the best burger joint took a lot of work (tough job isn’t it…all that sampling). But we found Stripburger an awesome, independent burger place located inside the Fashion Show Mall.
- As far as hamburgers go, they are pretty basic in their selection with a classic hamburger, cheese burger and blue cheese burger and my personal favorite: the Bacon and Cheddar Cheese burger. Each burger is topped with: lettuce, pickles, chopped purple onions and the thickest slice of tomato you will find anywhere, then American and cheddar cheese and finally lots of bacon. The toasted buns are bakery fresh and the burgers are great.
Great Basin Brewing Company
5525 South Virginia Street
Reno, NV 89502
- If you like Beer and a Burger, Great Basin Brewing Company is the place to go in Reno. They brew some of the best award winning IPAs in the country, and have won numerous awards in that area for their brews. But they also excel at making a great burger, to go with those beer and ale selections.
- All the hamburgers are made from fresh, ground chuck, hand blocked and char grilled. They are all ½ pound of ground beef, seasoned with herbs and just a touch of their own IPA for that special flavor enhancement. You can build your own burger from a choice of toppings and seasoning (I like the Desperado Steak Seasoning the best) or try one of the specialty burgers. Either way, you can’t go wrong.
211 West First Street
Reno, NV 89501
- The name says it all. Our Bar and that is what it is to the folks of Reno. A place for an adult beverage, a game of pool, watch a few sports on the TV’s and chow down on a really great burger. They have a nice selection of hamburgers: from the build your own to the pastrami topped burger.
- But for a wake you up, flavorful burger try the Spicy Buffalo Ranch burger. If you like buffalo wings and burgers, this is a combination sure to please. The burger is coated in spicy buffalo sauce and then grilled to your taste, covered with pepper jack cheese, red onions, crisp lettuce and topped with ranch dressing for a unique taste.
Billy’s Sports Bar and Grill
34 Tarrytown Road
Manchester, NH 03103
- Billy’s Sports Bar and Grill is filled with TV and sports memorabilia for every team sports you could want. It is also a great place for juicy hamburgers.
- The burger is really their ½ pound chopped sirloin served on a bun with all the fixings you want, and cooked the way you want it. Billy’s serves potato chips with burgers, but if you want to make a real meal out of it, try their sweet potato French fries.
Chunky’s Cinema and Pub
151 Coliseum Avenue
Nashua, NH 03063
- What a great combo, a movie and a burger to chow down on while you watch the show. You get both at Chunky’s Cinema and Pub. Chunky’s hamburgers are named after movie stars. From De Niro to Hanks and let’s not forget the Bacon…just a pun…you have some awesome ½ pound Angus beef burgers fixed just the way you like. They are above the line with their fixings and whether you get the “Were Not In Kansas Anymore” pulled pork burger (a ½ pound burger topped with lots of hickory smoked pulled pork) or my favorite The Bourbon Identity Ham Burger.
- The Bourbon Identity Ham Burger starts with a ½ pound Angus burger. Chunky’s piles on Bourbon glazed baked ham, sliced thin and covered with melted cheese. Just a great evening and an even greater meal. You won’t even care if the movie is a loser, when you try the burger.
47 Halsey Street
Newark, NJ 071021
- Burger Walla is determined to meet everyone’s needs by offering Walla Beef, Walla Lamb, Walla Chicken and Walla Shrimp hamburgers. Burger Walla’s beef is a combination of short rib, brisket and chuck, all USDA. Their lamb is infused with cilantro chutney and the chicken burger is infused with mint chutney while the shrimp is seasoned with garlic and paprika.
- This Indian approach to burgers is kind of a nice divergence from the old fashioned burger joint. You choose your bun and any one of 10 different sauces including their own Walla sauce. Different and worth a try.
6601 4th St Northwest
Albuquerque, NM 87107
- Papaburgers is a real burger joint, nothing fancy just fresh, USDA ground beef cooked right and topped the way you want it. They have a number of combinations to choose from, or you can just tell them what you want and they will make it happen for you.
- The Cheese Louise Burger is a real meal that consists of two hamburgers, 3 slices of cheese, onions, lettuce, tomato, pickles and of course mustard. You won’t be hungry after that meal.
1204 East Madrid Avenue
Las Cruces, NM 88001
- There is something about cooking hamburgers over an open flame that always makes it special and that is what they do at the Burger Nook. The aroma of the cooking Angus beef will make you mouth water and your stomach growl. The menu is simple and small but the flavor is large. Burger Nook offers a reasonably priced menu, and enough options for everyone to find something they like.
- Burger Nook is famous for fresh cut French Fries that you just have to have with your burger. Priced like a fast food burger joint, but so much better.
Five Star Burgers
604 North Guadalupe Street
Santa Fe, NM 87501
- It is easy to select Five Star Burgers as one of the Best in the Country for hamburgers, but then again, they have been selected by some of the best experts a number of times. They use only grass fed, antibiotic and hormone free Angus beef, ground fresh daily. The hand form the patties, and create a new and exciting burger recipe each month.
- But it is not only beef burgers that make them special, the seasoned lamb is served with a cucumber Tzatziki sauce for an awesome competition to a Greek Gyro. And the grilled Colorado, ranch raised Bison is so flavorful that you will have a problem making up your mind what to choose. One thing you can’t pass up is their sweet potato fries covered in maple cream as an add on.
277 East 10th Street
New York, NY 10009
- New York City is expensive, and space is at a premium. So I was not surprised there are only 35 seats in Brindle Room The décor is nice and the seating, if you can find a seat is comfortable. The menu is compact, like the location, but the single burger they offer is exceptional.
- Sebastian’s Steak House Burger really tastes like steak and not just ground beef. It is covered with cheese and then topped with caramelized onions and a pickle on a nice toasted bun. The tea is fresh brewed and nice and strong. French Fries were done to a nice crispness. The Brindle Room is a credit to American cuisine.
The Owl House
75 Marshall Street
Rochester, NY 14607
- Jeff Copp serves fresh and healthy food at The Owl House. He built a reputation that has been strong with vegans and even made his own Veggie Burger to suit them,. But Jeff also has a love of great hamburgers, and that is why he is mentioned here.
- The Owl House’s B.V.E. Burger is one hamburger that deserves recognition for being above the ordinary. They start with a USDA Angus beef patty cooked to pink inside, add Sriracha-Strawberry jam (never tried that before sweet and spicy all at once), add crispy fried onions, mayo and place it on a fresh toasted bun, and you have a new experience for a burger lover. Add the homemade potato chips with sea salt and umm…
1475 Western Avenue
Albany, NY 12203
- John and Nancy weren’t looking for recognition when they built Peaches Café back in the 80’s. They wanted to offer a place where the food was good and the prices were reasonable. They accomplished that, but along the way they also started attracting attention for the quality and flavor of their ½ pound hamburgers. The menu at Peaches Café is not exotic, but you will find a great burger.
- The Stuyvesant Burger is the exception, served on a hard roll and you design the toppings yourself. If you don’t want the traditional French Fries with your meal you can substitute onion Rings or Sweet Potato fries.
237 Wilmington Street
Raleigh, NC 27601
- Chuck’s is a part of a group of restaurants with stellar reputations. The hamburgers are made from fresh, house ground, USDA Chuck and hand blocked into half pound patties. I was impressed by some of Chuck’s creative burger selections.
- My favorite was The Dirty South. It’s your favorite burger topped it with smoked pork shoulder, red pea “chili,” covered with crispy onion strings, homemade slaw, and aged cheddar cheese on a toasted bun.
75A Haywood Street
Asheville, NC 28801
- Roman and Amanda started on the food truck and built their business up to the point where they could open their own restaurant. Roman’s is a family owned and run restaurant. The owners are also cooks, prep, dishwashers and caterers. Their beef comes from a local farm and is all grass fed without any hormones. The only issue I had was that they will only cook their hamburgers medium to well and for those of us who like them really rare this is not your place. But you have to stop by if you like a lot of flavor, and some really great combinations from an award-winning burger joint.
- I enjoyed their Pomegranate and Goat Cheese burger. It features a locally made goat cheese, fresh basil, thin sliced red onion, baby spinach, artichoke hearts and is covered with a Pomegranate Balsamic glaze on a toasted bun for a really flavorful meal.
Bad Daddy’s Burger Bar
504 Hanes Mall Boulevard
Winston-Salem, NC 27103
- Bad Daddy’s Burger Bar opened in 2007 with one store and today they have 18 locations in four states. So you know the hamburgers must be good. Bad Daddy’s offers 11 specialty burgers, and of course you can build your own with a wide variety of toppings. All the burgers are made from fresh ground beef that is hand formed and cooked the way you like it. The biggest burger is their Bad Ass Burger with 10 ounces of ground beef, their own homemade American cheese, a real flavorful buttermilk fried bacon, horseradish mayo, lettuce, tomato and of course topped with pickle warm toasted bun and you will have a full belly when you’re done.
- My personal favorite is their Western Burger made with 100% grass fed American bison smothered with the Monterey Jack cheese, covered with a pile of fried onion straws and then coated with a sweet barbecue sauce. Add that their hand cut, homemade, crispy potato chips and you have a real meal.
JL Beers – Fargo
518 First Avenue North
Fargo, ND 58102
- When you enter JL Beers, the first thing you notice is they sure got beer. I counted 32 beer taps, 26 bottle beers and 11 hand crafted beers on the menu I haven’t even gotten to the hamburgers yet. The 28 seat location is always packed, and not just for the beers.
- The burgers at JL Beers are made from fresh never frozen ground beef, hand formed and grilled just the way you order. They have a dozen specialty burgers and of course you can order the burger anyway you want and are all season just right. My personal favorite is the JL Burger: a juicy stack of two burgers, filled with caramelized onions, American cheese their own special sauce on a toasted bun. They warm you up on those cold Fargo nights.
Wild Bill’s Sports Saloon – Grand Forks
1405 Demers Avenue
Grand Forks, ND 58201
- If you were to imagine what a real Wild West Honky-Tonk might be like guess no more, all you have to do is mosey on over to Wild Bill’s Sports Saloon and you’ll have all the flavor of the Old West you want. You may go there for just hamburgers made from half pound patties of fresh certified Angus beef, cooked the way you like it and placed on a grilled bakery bun with all the fixings you want.
- The decor makes you feel like you’e in an old time North Dakota bar outfitted lots of plasma TVs, and great decor, cold beer – and live music if you stop in on Friday. The prices are very reasonable, the atmosphere is awesome, the services good, the food is memorable: how can you lose?
Johnny’s Little Bar
614 Frankfort Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44113
- If you were looking for a great little out-of-the-way place with atmosphere and great food at the same time, stop at Johnny’s Little Bar in Cleveland. With the natural brick walls, open beam ceiling and old Tiffany style lamps, you can feel right at home. But they offer hamburgers made from ½ pound of fresh ground Chuck, cooked just the way you want with enough variations to please any palette. The buns are fresh and only your imagination holds you back from building it as you want.
- Have your burger covered with Swiss, Cheddar or American cheese, bacon, grilled onions and of course lettuce and tomato. Johnny’s Little Bar serves fresh cut french fries and steak fries as well as some tremendous onion rings. Add to that your choice of over 40 beers, and how can you go wrong?
Flatiron Bar and Diner
129 East Nationwide Boulevard
Columbus, OH 43215
- If you love an atmosphere that is classic and old and a place where quality is important you are going to love the Flat Iron Bar and Diner. The Flat Iron Building is a really cool three-story structure with 100 years of history built into it and executive chef Steven Nicholson makes sure the hamburgers are as memorable as the building itself.
- The Flat Iron Burger holds true to the tradition that quality is better than quantity. That being said chef Steven as only one great burger on its menu, but it’s a burger that should please any burger lovers appetite. And if you live for a burger on Saturday, can grab a great Mimosa just three bucks.
12071 Mason Montgomery Road
Cincinnati, OH 25249
- Now here in Cincinnati they have a real, award winning Burger Joint. Flipdaddy’s offers a great selection of beers and ale (39 different choices) and fresh ground beef (a combination of brisket, short rib and chuck) all mixed with their own blend of seasoning then grilled to your taste. The variety is anything you would want as a topping and they have over 17 specialty hamburgers, and a Build Your Own burger selection.
- Some of their combinations are really unique and creative: The Mac Daddy is grilled mac and cheese, topped with a ⅓ pound burger patty and served on a pretzel bun. The Pasano is an Italian delight with prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, tomato and aioli. My favorite is the Gaucho, a real Argentina flavored burger topped with garlic and herb chimichurri, grilled onions and provolone cheese. So if you are in Cincinnati, and not just for the chili, stop by Flipdaddy’s and experience a great burger place.
Burger Bar 419
4400 Heatherdowns Boulevard
Toledo, OH 43614
- Don’t let the simple brick front storefront fool you. Step past the threshold into a colorful world of fragrance smells, bright colors and some awesome art. Moussa and Tony came up with their concept Burger Bar 419 (419 is the area code for Toledo) because of their love for good food. These big, fresh half pound juicy treats are cooked to order and are available in a number of creative combinations. Not only can you get a classic hamburger they also have: the Slamon Salmon Made with minced salmon, Three Little Pigs made with ground pork, marinated mushroom that is a vegetarian delight to full portobello mushroom caps instead of beef, Beans & Grain features roasted eggplant and Mother & Child Burger is made with a fresh ground chicken sausage.
- The Kafta Burger is a great Middle Eastern twist to the regular burger using a seasoned Lamb Patty and covering it with hummus, lettuce, tomato, onion and a tzatziki sauce. My all-time favorite is the Short Stuff Burgers: smothered with braised short ribs and sautéed onions then topped with a smoked, aged cheddar cheese. Enjoy a cold Newcastle ale and listen to some local musical talent while you dine on great hamburgers.
Ido Bar & Grill
1537 South Main Street
Akron, OH 44301
- There’s a very old saying, “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.” That’s what you can say about the Ido Bar & Grill. They’ve been doing it right since 1943. First you start with fresh burgers, never frozen and made from 100% USDA ground Chuck, form it into a ⅓ pound hamburger patties and grill it to perfection. You can build your own burger with a wide variety of toppings and seasonings or you can take one of their specialty hamburgers.
- My favorite is the Montreal burger, seasoned with Montreal steak seasoning (coarse salt, course cracked black pepper, garlic and other seasonings), a creamy blue cheese sauce and their own special, highly seasoned onion straws. If you really want a big meal you can make that a double patty burger for just two bucks more. Served on a toasted bun. Add the condiments you like, and you have a very happy tummy when you’re done.
Tucker’s Onion Burgers
324 Northwest 23rd Street
Oklahoma City, OK 73103
- Tucker’s Onion Burgers is known for making the biggest burger on the planet. They produce an 800 pound onion burger during May, to celebrate the anniversary of the onion burger. The tradition goes back to the 1920’s when they started pressing thin slices of onion into the ground beef. When you grill hamburgers with that combination, you come up with a great flavor profile.
- All of the ground beef in Tucker’s Onion Burgers is sourced from a single farm in Oklahoma, and is 100% Black Angus. They keep everything basic with a single, double or their Mother Tucker, one full pound monster. Burgers are cooked exactly the way you want it with your choice of a number of toppings. You can’t miss out on this, it has a unique flavor.
Boston Deli Grill & Market
6231 East 61st Street
Tulsa, OK 74136
- The first thing you’re going to notice when you enter the Boston Deli Grill & Market is the overwhelming aroma of BBQ. Not the usual deli that you’ve ever been in a true Oklahoma version. The variety’s great. Hamburgers are chargrilled and seasoned for a fantastic flavor.
- They make an awesome barbecue brisket burger that is served on a potato bun covered with smoked aged cheddar cheese and a basal aïoli. A unique treat for awesome food. Add hickory smoked bacon and fresh cut french fries accompanied by an ice cold beer and you have a meal fit for a king.
O’Connell’s Irish Pub and Grille
769 Asp Avenue
Norman, OK 73069
- Open Daily 11am – 2am
- You don’t have to be a Sooners fan to hang out at O’Connell’s Irish Pub and Grille, but it doesn’t hurt. This is one true Irish Pub, and what an Irish Pub is really supposed to be like: full of fun and energy, friendly wait staff, good food and of course very cold beer. Like any of you can expect the grub to be good, hot and plentiful. Hamburgers here are all ⅓ pound fresh ground USDA beef.
- O’Connell’s Irish Pub and Grille offers 17 specialty hamburgers. If you can’t find one of those you like you can always build your own. Start with the ⅓ pound burger, or you can choose the one half pound size. If you’re really adventurous you can make it a double on either one. The french fries are hand cut and fresh: order them with a side of gravy and a nice cold beer. If you plan on eating at O’Connell’s on a game day, be ready for a long wait, because you will find a few hundred fans filling the parking lot.
Grain and Gristle
1473 Northeast Prescott Street
Portland, OR 97211
- Alex, Ben and Marcus at Grain and Gristle know a thing or two about the restaurant business, as well as a whole lot about brewing, and certainly about making unique hamburgers. It helps when you start with really good ground beef. They use a USDA Chuck for their burgers: always fresh and hand formed.
- They char sear the outside the burger giving a very crispy crust that not only increases the flavor profile but helps to keep all those wonderful juices inside. Top it with cheddar or blue cheese and two slices of the sliced smoked bacon. Put it all on a brioche roll and you have a real great burger. The entire menu is exceptional.
Nancy’s Burgers And Fries
4550 Commercial Street Southeast
Salem, OR 97302
- Yes readers, there really is a Nancy at Nancy’s Burgers and Fries. Nancy Giddens serves a real home style burger with a flavor to make you want to come back for more, and french fries made from the best Idaho potatoes and cut fresh.
- Nancy’s hamburgers are from fresh ground Sirloin: not the regular Chuck so many people use. All the burgers are one quarter pound, except for the Big Burger which has two quarter pound patties. The prices at Nancy’s are very reasonable, and food quality is exceptional. When you’re in Salem, and got that burger fix, I suggest you stop by.
Little Big Burger
3747 North Mississippi Avenue
Portland, OR 97227
- Little Big Burger is a burger bar. Come in and have a seat right at the bar. You can watch as your burger is made right in front of you and cooked fresh, just the way you like it.
- Hamburgers at Little Big Burger use a hormone free, grass fed ground beef that is made into ¼ pound patties and grilled on order. It’s topped with a variety of local cheeses as well as fresh toppings and covered with all the condiments you choose. They use a nice bakery brioche bun that is lightly toasted and there’s never any charge for being able to watch the cooks prepare your food.
932 Freeport Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15238
- Pittsburgh may be known as steel city, but when it comes to hamburgers they also have a reputation, and you can easily find that at Burgatory, the best burger joint in Pittsburgh. Here you can find an all-natural, hormone free, fresh ground Angus burger that is made from a combination of sirloin, chuck, beef brisket and short rib for an awesome combination of flavors and textures. The burgers are then hand formed and cooked just the way you like them and they have no problem with making them rare the way I like them. But it’s not just the way they cook their burgers it’s the awesome variety of burgers they have.
- Here you can order a regular all natural beef or if you’re feeling very courageous you can try the bison burger or one of my favorites the Elk Gone Wild burger. All of these are served with house cut french fries or sweet potato fries to make it a complete meal. My favorite is the Morty’s Steak House burger. This is their famous hand formed Angus beef patty, encrusted with a peppercorn mixture and grilled. Now add a huge pile of haystack onions, fried crispy and pour their special Cabernet sauce on it, and you’ll really see how good a true steak burger can be.
Elevation Burger – Collegeville
201 Plaza Drive
Collegeville, PA 19426
- When Hans and April Hess started Elevation Burger, they were thinking big. They insisted on only using fresh, grain fed beef is hormone free and certified organic. These hand formed hamburgers are grilled with a nice crust, covered with your choice of cheese, fresh tomatoes, lettuce, served on a warm toasted bun.
- If you have a really big appetite, you can try their Vertigo Burger where you can choose to stack your burger with from 3 to 10 patties, each one with cheese in between for a towering gut buster that will deliver 1950 calories to your daily diet. This is not a burger for the faint of heart.
Luxe Burger Bar
5 Memorial Boulevard
Providence, RI 02903
- When you want to enjoy a great burger in Providence, Rhode Island, I suggest you stop by Luxe Burger Bar. Pull up a chair on their outside patio, enjoy the cool breeze and the warm sunshine and chow down on a great burger. John and Teddy have put together a great concept and take a lot of pride in quality and flavor they provide in their burgers. And you can expect that since they also own top rated steak houses in in Providence and provide the same quality of the for their hamburgers. Their selection includes Waygu beef, farm raised bison and burgers made from USDA choice Herford beef.
- Order your burger your way, one of their many specialties such as the M.O.A.B (Mother Of All Burgers). A ½ pound hand formed burger topped with black pastrami, sautéed onions, sautéed mushrooms, thick cut jalapenos, American and cheddar cheeses, pickles, lettuce, tomato and chipotle mayo.
- My favorite is the Frankenstein. You have to eat with a friend because it’s just too big to try to eat alone, although many have won a free T-shirt for doing it.
- You start with four of their 8 ounce patties, cover it with two split and grilled jumbo beef hotdogs, four slices of thick smoke bacon and four slices of American cheese. The Frankenstein is topped with a large portion of their own spicy chili, and coleslaw between two buttered rolls with a double side of french fries.
Doherty’s Ale House
30 Jefferson Boulevard
Warwick, RI 02888
- I can honestly say I thought I had seen it all when it comes to Irish pubs but when you walk into Doherty’s Ale House first thing that’s going to blow you away is the 10 yards of beer taps along the back wall, 123 different craft beers as well as a full liquor bar with a load of choices. The walls are festooned with big screen TVs and the aroma from the kitchen will make you salivate before you ever sit down. Hamburgers are a blend of Angus beef cuts of sirloin, chuck and hanger steak seasoned with their special seasoning and that hand formed into 8 ounce patties prepared the way you want. This is all served on a toasted artisan bread roll with all the different fixings you could desire.
- If you really want to put a tear in your eye, try the Cry Baby Burger. It starts with that burger patty and it’s wonderful beef blend. Cover it with pepper Jack cheese, and Sriracha Aioli, Serrano Chilies and Pickled Jalapenos add a dollop of mustard and you’ll have tears of joy in your eyes as you eat. Instead of french fries, you can choose from; coleslaw, mashed potatoes, herbed Jasmine rice, pickled beets sautéed green beans. I suggest the french fries with a side of Brown gravy for dipping to make it a really memorable dining experience.
876 Atwood Avenue
Cranston, RI 02920
- Open Mon-Sat 10:30am – 6pm
- Brooklyn Brothers is small, sparsely decorated place with chromed high top schools and roundtables. It reminds you of a 50’s diner, with a simple menu and good food to make you feel right at home.
- Brooklyn Brothers servers no nonsense hamburgers with a lot of flavor.
Henry’s Restaurant and Bar
2865 Devine Street
Columbia, SC 29205
- In Columbia they know how to do hamburgers right, and if you stop by Henry’s Restaurant and Bar you will know what I mean. Burgers cooked with a real southern flair and cooked just right over a open flame grill. Fix the burgers anyway you want or try some really cool combinations to tickle your palette includingL the Surf and Turf Burger, half pound of certified Angus beef with the great grilled and flavor and topped with three large grilled shrimp, sautéed onions and a Red Dragon cheese really unique burger.
- For those of you with a really giant appetite you have got to try the Big T Burger. You start out with two grilled cheese sandwiches made on Texas toast and filled with a combination of American, Swiss and Cheddar cheese and put two of Henry’s 8 ounce burgers in between add thick sliced bacon, grilled mushrooms and sautéed onions and you have a burger that stands almost 12 inches high and can satisfy even the biggest appetite. If you eat two Big T Burgers within 45 minutes, along with a basket of hand cut fries, you make it to the wall of fame and get a free Henry’s T-shirt as a bonus.
Chicora Alley – Greenville
608 South Main Street
Greenville, SC 29601
- Ben and Bert Dixon created Chicora Alley to be a Mexican themed restaurant with absolutely great hamburgers, live entertainment and fun bar. They are chefs and really make sure they use only “Fresh” ingredients including fresh ground, Angus beef and locally grown organic produce. You can always get your burger the way you want it, with a wide variety of toppings including Mexican Queso or Colby Jack cheese.
- The Chicora Burger features the Angus beef Patty covered in pico de gallo and guacamole. Or try something really exotic like the Mideast burger, that same great beef patty only this time it’s covered with a black bean and roasted red pepper hummus, three different types of lettuce, pico de gallo, sliced cucumbers and a spicy Sriracha Ranch sauce, served on a toasted pita.
Burger Time – Sioux Falls
2300 West 12th Street
Sioux Falls, SD 57104
- You just never know where you’re going to find a tasty burger sometimes there in the most unexpected places and served by the most unexpected restaurants. You can’t sit and have a beer and watch TV’s at Burger Time. You’re going to sit in your car and drive through their double drive and order your burger. But their hamburgers are truly two steps above any of the fast food places you’re going to go to.
- At Burger Time you can get everything from small Junior burger to their huge triple burger, and have them make it just the way you want. Or try one of their specialties. No matter what you do, I believe you’re going to be very pleased with the end result. Just a great hamburgers from a great burger joint that makes Sioux Falls proud.
Firehouse Brewing Company
610 Main Street
Rapid City, SD 57701
- Firehouse Brewing Company is one of the finest places to visit even if they didn’t have the best hamburgers in Rapid City. Built in an old two-story red brick fire station with high vaulted metal ceilings and a warm atmosphere filled with all types firehouse memorabilia. You can spend an hour just sitting around and enjoying the atmosphere before you ever even order one of their great crafted beers. Then it’s time to order one of their flavorful, fresh ground Beef or Buffalo burgers. The only issue I had was that they prepare all of their burgers medium well unless you remember to ask for it to be prepared rare (the way I always eat mine). They have a wide enough selection of specialty burgers to entice you to try something new but you can always order it topped just the way you want. The Buffalo Blue Burger seem to be especially popular with a ½ of ground bison covered with a melted blue cheese and sautéed onions.
- My favorite on the menu is called “And Then Some.” It starts out with a ½ fresh ground beef burger, then loaded high with smoked pulled pork which is covered in a queso, relish and finished off this be fried onion strings. Enjoy that with one of their cold brews and you will definitely have a happy tummy.
Circus Sports Bar and Grill
14 3rd Avenue Southeast
Aberdeen, SD 57401
- The Circus Sports Bar and Grill is a sports bar with 20 draft beers, and a special burger night that lives up to their reputation of having the best hamburgers in Aberdeen. Here as you sit at the counter you can even watch as your burger is prepared. Televisions all around the ceiling make sure you don’t miss any of your special games while you enjoy one of the USDA, fresh ground, hand formed, half pound burger cooked just the way you like it, with lots of fixings to make it special.
- They have a few unique concoctions of their own such as the Cuban Burger. Start with their fresh ground burger and top it with crispy bacon, cheese, smoked ham and the barbecue sauce.
- My favorite was the Tiger Burger. It starts with their hand formed patty topped with a special sauce, lots of garlic, pepper jack cheese and sliced jalapenos all on a toasted bun. That will wake up your taste buds and one of their cold brews will help cool you down.
Fat Mo’s – Nashville
310 West Trinity Lane
Nashville, TN 37207
- Mo and Shiva Karimy wanted to start a typical American restaurant that would hold itself out as different from all the fast food burger joints around. They did it by building Fat Mo’s into an award-winning concept, that has been featured on the food network as one of the best hamburgers around.
- You must wait for your food because Fat Mo’s hamburgers are always fresh ground beef, hand formed, never frozen, and cooked to order. But the wait is worth it. You can order a quarter pound, half pound or 1 pound burger. If you really hungry you can have two or three patties stacked high and served on a sesame seed bun with all the fixings you like.
205 Beale Street
Memphis, TN 38103
- As soon as you walk through the door at Dyer’s Burgers you feel like you stepped back in time. Started in 1912 by the late Elmer “Doc” Dyer with a reputation for having excellent food and consistent quality, the tradition has managed to be carried on through today. It is nice to enjoy the 1950’s diner type atmosphere, and the savory aroma of hamburgers. The patties are USDA beef that is fresh, hand formed and cooked to order.
- You can order a single, single cheeseburger, double and if you’re really hungry triple with three patties and three cheese slices. Add a large portion of their hand cut fresh made french fries and a big drink to be absolutely full. It proves that Memphis is home to more than just great barbecue, and has a place of distinction for great hamburgers.
Stock & Barrel
35 Market Street
Knoxville, TN 37902
- Smell the aroma of the best hamburgers in Knoxville, and your taste buds will start to salivate. One of the things I like best about Stock & Barrel is that everything is locally grown or baked and served fresh for a wonderful flavor. But if you like your burgers rare you have to make sure to ask them up front because they are automatically cooked medium to medium well. You can have it made your way or any one of their dozen specialty burgers like the Elvis Burger, a ⅓ pound grilled USDA beef patty that is fresh and never frozen, covered with organic peanut butter, local smoked bacon and fried bananas.
- For me it’s their Steakhouse Burger: a savory quarter pound beef patty, barrel aged cheddar cheese, steak sauce – piled high with crispy fried onion straws and served on a best bakery fresh bun that is lightly toasted, with all the condiments you enjoy.
The Grape Restaurant
2808 Greenville Avenue
Dallas, TX 75206
- This is a unique situation, because you can ONLY order hamburgers during Sunday Brunch. Yes, that is right, just one day a week but the wait is worth it.
- The Grape Restaurant won Zagat’s top rating in the BEST hamburger contest on all levels: Flavor, Ingredients, Value and Overall taste.
- The small, European Bistro is operated by Courtney and Brian Luscher, a couple from New York who moved to Dallas and acquired the Bistro in 2007. They brought about the menu change that includes the now famous cheeseburger.
The Counter Café
626 North Lamar Boulevard
Austin, TX 78703
- Debbie Davis and Doug Kissner have made an established icon in Austin even better with their hand-pressed hamburgers, made only with gourmet Niman beef from Colorado. This is a plump 6 ounce patty that is cooked to order.
- The Counter Café is a small diner, with only 24 seats and they are constantly full. This ALL American café features fresh, organic, local grown produce, buns and fixings.
606 West Cypress Street
San Antonio, TX 78212
- Sam and Lisa Asvestas started the bistro in 2001 as a specialty ice cream and sandwich place. In 2003 they decided to change the menu and create a more holistic offering. proudly boasts serving SOL food. That stands for: Sustainable, Organic, Local.
- The Cove features 13 specialty hamburgers, and some are quite unique. When they came to the table they seemed to be bigger than a mouthful and reflect the hand blocked patties.
Toro Burger Bar
6590 Montana Avenue
El Paso, TX 79925
- Toro Burger Bar boasts Prime Angus beef and Kobe Beef for their hamburgers. These burgers are made fresh and cooked to order, served on a brioche bun.
- There are so many burgers to choose from including: Elk Burgers, Crab Burger, Salmon Burger and a dozen varieties of Angus beef burgers.
- With such a selection it is difficult to make a decision. It makes you appreciate that Burgers can be made delicious from a variety of meats and seafood. But only a “Hamburger” is made from real beef (so why is it called a Ham Burger?)
3009 South University Drive
Fort Worth, TX 76109
- Dutch’s Hambugers was named after Leo “Dutch” Meyer, the winningest football coach in Texas Christian University (TCU) history.
- The entire restaurant is an homage to TCU. The featured burger is a full half pound of all natural beef and the French fries are all hand cut daily.
- Close to the college, Dutch’s Hamburgers has become a real “Hang Out” for everyone in the area. There is seating for 100 and a long, shotgun bar.
- Get ready for big hamburgers. The Lineman is a full 1 pound burger. The Country Fried Dutch is unique as a ½ pound burger that is beer battered and deep fried with Homestyle gravy.
1001 East Memorial Loop
Houston, TX 77007
- Win Campbell and Mike Knapp had a dream of serving the best hamburgers and upscale cuisine.
- Becks Prime serves a real “Char Cooked” burger grilled over mesquite, for that Texas outdoor flavor. Each patty is hand formed from ground chuck that is ground on the premises daily for that “Fresh” flavor.
175 West 1300 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84115
- Open Daily 10 AM – 2 AM
- The first thing that hits you when you walk into Lucky 13, is the large American flag posted on the wall that sets the entire mood for dining on one of America’s great foods: the Hamburger. When you go to the Lucky 13, I advise you to wear something that’s easy to wash because they serve big messy hamburgers the old-fashioned way loaded with flavor and covered with toppings. Lucky 13 takes great pride in the fact that they use all locally sourced produce and beef, which is 100% USDA ground chuck. Another thing that’s unique about this burger joint is they smoke their own bacon in-house daily using a combination of Hickory and Applewood. Buns are baked daily to make sure they are fresh.
- Lucky 13 has a great selection of specialty burgers, or you can order one way you want it. If you’re up for it you can take the Lucky 13 Challenge. That would mean you consume a Big Benny Burger which is 28 ounces of fresh ground beef, smoked bacon, ham, cheddar, swiss, and caramelized onions standing over a foot tall – and finish a Lucky 13 Burger all within one hour. If you succeed your meal is free and you get $200 cash on top of it.
- I like their Pigpen Burger: a grilled chuck burger (7 oz.), smothered with house smoked bacon, grilled black forest ham, caramelized onions, cheddar and swiss cheese, and their own special Lucky 13 sauce on a lightly toasted bun for a scrumptious meal. Add a basket of those fresh cut fries, and you can’t go wrong.
Apollo Burgers – West Valley City
2950 West 3500 South
West Valley City, UT 84119
- If you can remember those summer cookouts where you are outside with a charcoal grill and hamburgers smelled wonderful as the flame kissed the drippings, you can relive those memories when you visit Apollo Burgers. Their hamburgers are quarter pound. Although it seems like you’re at a fast food place one bite tell you you’re not.
- That charcoal broiled flame kissed burger has a great flavor. The Apollo burger topped with cheese, lettuce, onion, tomato and a great New York style pastrami leads the way. Combine that with one of their creamy, hand scooped milkshakes and you might have to loosen your britches when you are done.
Original Tommy’s – Provo
401 West 100 North
Provo, UT 84601
- If you are like me and you can remember the images from your youth of those small little roadside hamburger stands that you would drive by and see it crowded with cars. All different makes and models then all those memories will come back to you when you visit Original Tommy’s Burgers. The atmosphere, the food, the service, and even the prices will remind you of those good old days. This is not a gourmet burger place. If you’re looking for anything besides good old-fashioned hamburgers and cheeseburgers, you’re in the wrong place. But if you can enjoy a nice, messy, flavor filled chili cheeseburger, you are right where you should be.
- I like to make things a little bit different whenever I stop by. They were glad to accommodate me by fixing a double hamburger with a sausage patty in between and smothering it with their awesome chili on serving it on a warm, fresh bun. My, what a flavor. Stop by, and have them make one of your specials whenever you’re in Provo.
The Farmhouse Tap & Grill
160 Bank Street
Burlington, VT 05401
- The Farmhouse Tap & Grill is a cool place with a friendly staff, excellent craft beer and darn good hamburgers. Here, the attitude is less is more. They focus more on producing a great burger made from locally grown beef that’s always fresh never frozen, hand formed cooked the way you like it. You can add bacon, grilled onions, caramelized onions, pickled red onions, coleslaw, sliced pickles, pickled jalapenos, sliced tomatoes and of course, lettuce. For those really looking for a unique flavor add a sunny side up egg, braised kale, Korean kimchi or roasted mushrooms.
- The Farmhouse Tap & Grill lets you make something unique by adding seafood from their raw bar to their already super burger. I’ve seen burgers topped with fresh oysters and you can even add fresh lump crab for a unique Surf and Turf like I did, fantastic.
Rozzi’s Lakeshore Tavern & Restaurant
1022 West Lakeshore Drive
Colchester, VT 05446
- As soon as you enter the little building with the green roof right across from the marina you can smell the fresh seafood and you know you’re in a place that’s special. You may not know that besides the great selection of fresh seafood, Rozzi’s Lakeshore Tavern & Restaurant offers over 20 different specialty hamburgers to choose from, and of course you can make your own the way you want it. All the burgers are made with ½ pound of fresh ground beef and served on a warm toasted bun.
- But what’s really neat, is all the unique combinations they have. My favorite is a draw between the Hot Hamburger which is a half pound fresh ground beef burger cooked rare like I like it served on toast with french fries and all of it covered with brown gravy. The exceptional Escargot Burger was also absolutely delicious, with a fresh burger patty covered with grilled escargot topped with melted provolone cheese. Wow! That is so much fun to eat.
80/20 Burger Bar
123 West 21st Street
Norfolk, VA 23517
- When I was doing my research to find the very best burger place in Norfolk I met with some very close friends that live there to ask their opinion and all of them agreed with my choice. There are many good things to say about 80/20 Burger Bar starting with the fact that they use all locally grown, organic beef and make sure everything is fresh daily. The selection of specialty hamburgers is world-class on any stage. There are too many unique and wonderful choices for me to tell you about all of them.
- But to give you a couple of examples of just how creative they can be, I will start with the Redneck Wellington. They start with their ⅓ pound, fresh ground beef patty, top it with muscles, goat cheese and a bourbon mustard, wrap it all in a puff pastry and bake it. Or maybe it would be their Junk Drawer burger. Start again with that ⅓ pound, fresh ground, burger patty, grilled the way you want it and top it with a very tender, slow cooked, beef brisket. Add creamy Havarti cheese and a horseradish aïoli served on a warm roll and tickle your palate while you eat it.
- And then there’s my favorite on the menu, the Lesner, that same one third pound beef patty, cooked rare for me and topped with tarragon sautéed lump crab meat, gruyere cheese and the thousand island aïoli for one of the most unique burgers you ever tried.
Carytown Burgers & Fries – Carytown
3500½ West Cary Street
Richmond, VA 23221
- I do a lot of study before I do a search for a burger place that I will try, and being someone who has written burger cookbooks I look closely at the quality of the ingredients that are used in making my burger. Here at Carytown Burgers & Fries they use a true butchers blend of top Round Sirloin and Chuck for a true steak burger flavor — with their 85/15 blend and their dedication to never using any frozen meat. The selection of hamburgers that you’re going to find on the menu range from the old-fashioned hamburger and cheeseburgers group to more exotic specialty burgers with all types of different blends to satisfy any burger desire.
- Some of their most unique concoctions include The Kicker: a juicy ⅓ pound, fresh ground burger patty topped with three smoked Gouda mac and cheese bites, crispy bacon, coleslaw, yellow mustard and spicy Sriracha catsup.
- Or you can try my favorite the Barnyard Brawl. But you better be really hungry because it’s like two meals in one. First you start with a ⅓ pound burger cooked the way you like it. Now add some crispy fried chicken tenders, three strips of bacon, American cheese and topped it with a fried egg then sandwich it between a toasted bun, and you have breakfast lunch and dinner all at the same time.
Mooyah Burgers, Fries, Shakes – Hampton
36 Coliseum Crossing
Hampton, VA 23666
- It’s always nice when you can find a place that serves good food and is very conscious of the needs of the few as well as the desires of many. Mooya Burgers, Fries, Shakes understands that some people have very different dietary requirements. They go out of their way to try and fit those delicious hamburgers into those requirements. Besides their all-natural, always fresh, USDA beef patties, you can also get a black bean veggie burger are all natural Turkey burger. And every month they seem to come up with a new special signature burger. The buns are always fresh and toasted.
- If you want to try something really refreshing try their Ice Burger. That great crusty grilled hamburger loaded with toppings is then wrapped in iceberg lettuce leaves for those who are watching their carbohydrate intake. Now you can have all the flavor without the guilt of flour or gluten and it really is refreshing. Add to that their fresh and cut fries and you are ready chow down on a memorable meal.
8oz Burger & Company – Capitol Hill, Seattle
Seattle, WA 98122
- Not to sound sexist, but 8oz Burger & Company serves a real, man sized burger. Chef Kevin Chung has made sure every meal is a memorable experience. These more than a mouthful delights are served fresh and juicy and cooked just the way you want, for me that is rare and juicy. The buns are real bakery style buns and the toppings are whatever your imagination can think of. The specialty hamburgers that Chef Kevin has put together are quite cool.
- It is so difficult to point out a single one of these burgers. But I must confess to saying that for a beef burger the Jackson is my very favorite. That big, hand formed, fresh ground Angus beef patty, cooked with a crispy crust and juicy and rare in the middle, then topped with a braised short rib that is coated with a demi glaze and topped with arugula lettuce and fontina cheese…my oh my. Don’t miss trying the Wild Boar burger when you are there, for those of you who love pork.
916 South Hatch Street
Spokane, WA 99202
- Why would you open a place called Wisconsinburger in Spokane, Washington? If you were Jeff Nordvall, you would want to bring a little home with you to your new residence. If you had a great burger back home, you would want to make sure others knew about it in Spokane. That is what we have with Spokane’s own Wisconsinburger. The beef is always fresh ground and hand formed and of course cooked to order your way and served on a toasted Kaiser roll. For those who like to just build a great burger you can add your own toppings the way you like or choose one of Jeff’s specialty burgers. There are some unique hamburgers here.
- I love the South Beloit Burger. We start with a fresh ground beef patty and top it with a butterflied, grilled German Bratwurst and real Wisconsin cheddar cheese, a great home-made beer mustard and sauerkraut (I always pass on the sauerkraut myself), served on a pretzel bun. Now that is one awesome meal, when you add their hand cut French fries or hand cut potato chips.
Frugals – Tacoma
10727 Pacific Avenue South
Tacoma, WA 98444
- You remember the saying that sometimes a “Good Burger is just a Good Burger?” That is exactly what you will get at Frugals: no gourmet kobe beef, no decorated dining room and no need to take out a loan to pay for dinner.
- At Frugals you will get great, affordable hamburgers (¼ or ½ pound) made with fresh ground beef, cooked to order and served with all the toppings you could want. Add their crispy fries and that creamy milk shake, and you can drive home and make the family happy.
11215 Northeast 28th Street
Vancouver, WA 98682
- It is nice to find owners who care about your health and understand the need for producing flavorful at the same time. Dean understands the need for quality and Danell comes from a family of physicians, and understands the need to serve fresh and healthy food. The burgers are ¼ (you can get a double) or ⅓ pound of lean, fresh ground, USDA beef. Burger Bungalow is filled with the wonderful aroma of flame kissed, char grilled hamburgers cooking on the grill.
- You can order it the way you want, or choose from one of Dean’s special concoctions. I would suggest the Mechanical Bull Burger, ⅓ pound of juicy ground beef cooked the way you like it topped with a unique Root Beer flavored BBQ sauce, 2 strips of crispy bacon, covered with a pepper jack cheese and topped with crispy fried onion straws and their own Bungalow sauce……Yum.
The Black Squirrel Bar
2427 18th Street NW
Washington, DC 20009
- DC is full of great places to eat and finding the best takes some time. The Black Squirrel Bar offers some of the best in both flavor and presentation. Filled with old brick, warm wood and orange walls it is a comfortable place to dine and enjoy a cold beer. The hamburgers are all grass fed, hormone free Hereford beef that is fresh ground in house. They offer 22 different toppings including a mac and cheese fritter and they always cook the burgers fresh to order. If you are not happy with a beef burger, they offer either Bison or Turkey.
- My choice is the “Squealer Burger.” The ground beef is mixed with chopped bacon and ham, then grilled to perfection and topped with more bacon.
Clyde’s – Georgetown
3236 M Street, NW
Washington, DC 20007
- Clyde’s is a place you should visit when in Georgetown. It has an elegant and interesting atmosphere. You might be surprised at the movers and shakers you will see there chowing down on the great food. The hamburgers are close to a half pound, and made from fresh ground beef and hand formed and cooked to order. I know this is about burgers but I have to mention Clyde’s Lump Crab Burger. It is so awesome that it will almost make you forget his beef burgers, almost that is.
- The burger selection is simple: a cheese burger and a hamburger but with all the toppings you want and served on a bakery fresh bun. If you’re at the bar then you might like Clyde’s wonderful Sliders as a sharable treat, same great flavor in a smaller package.
Sam’s Uptown Café
28 Capitol Street
Charleston, WV 25301
- Come in, sit down at the bar and stare at the giant screened TV in front of you, order a cold beer and add a great burger to that and you will see why Sam’s Uptown Café so popular in Charleston.
- All the hamburgers are big, ½ pound, fresh ground beef patties, with just a touch of sausage in the Sam’s Burger for a great flavor enhancer. Except they will only cook them medium well (not the way I like them, but still flavorful) and served with house cut, fresh made potato chips and a pickle slice. You have a choice of 5 different cheeses and lots of toppings including crispy bacon.
Fat Patty’s – Huntington
1935 Third Avenue
Huntington, WV 25702
- When you’re in coal country, you know you will find places that serve real food. That is what you find at Fat Patty’s in Huntington. A burger joint that is known for its quality and unique hamburgers. With 25 specialty burgers to choose from and the Build Your Own option you can’t go wrong. From Low Carb to the big Cowboy Burger you can sure fill up and get your burger fix handled.
- The raspberry Popper is something else and very unique. Start with the all-beef, fresh patty and top it with cream cheese, add sautéed jalapenos and a great raspberry melba sauce, add lettuce and tomato and wow, that is unique.
- My favorite is the Peppercorn Patty. I love pepper and they cover and fill the beef patty with black peppercorns, add pepper jack cheese, lettuce and tomato and you will have a wonderful meal.
1201 Valley View Avenue
Wheeling, WV 26003
- Avenue Eats is a quaint little place with a lot of charm. From the intimate little dining room to the 1940’s atmosphere. But the hamburgers are the real treat here. Made from all natural, fresh, grass feed USDA beef. They have a number of nice specialty burgers that they have created or you can choose your own combination.
- I can suggest something a little different in a burger choice with their Gourmet Sloppy Joe Burger. The same fresh ground beef served loose in a special, Moonshine Sloppy Joe sauce served on a Brioche bun. A real Loose Meat Burger treat.
4629 North Port Washington Road
Milwaukee, WI 53212
(414) 332- 8808
- OK, I love historical places that serve great food and Solly’s Grille is right up there with the best. Everyone knows that Wisconsin is the home of the “Butter Burger,” and this place is the best advertisement for that food group. You can sit at the counter and watch as butter is added to hamburgers while they cook. If you are lucky and get there early you may get to sit at Bob Uecker’s dedicated seat, the great voice of the brewers has a place front and center.
- You can order your burger anyway you want or choose from one of their specials. For those who are truly hungry, you can get the 1-foot-high, Double Double Bacon Cheese Burger. Of course no one can get their mouth around the whole thing at once. But it is fun to try and I can guarantee it will be floating in a pool of real Wisconsin butter.
1980 Atwood Avenue
Madison, WI 53704
- Alchemy is not some glitzy, uptown burger place. It has a real neighborhood pub feel to it when you walk in with its raised bar and plaster walls. But don’t let the decor fool you, when it comes to food they make it seem special. All the meats and produce are locally sourced and they serve their grass fed hamburgers in both beef and bison in a ⅓ pound, hand formed patty. They will make it your way and prepare it fresh for you.
- The Applerum Burger is unique and their signature burger. The ⅓ pound patty is grilled to your liking, and then topped with a sweet onion-rum relish that they make in house. Then add Wisconsin sharp cheddar cheese, habanero aioli, sliced red onions, fresh tomato and serve it all on a toasted, bakery bun. Don’t forget to add an order of the double fried sweet potato fries to go with it.
Titletown Brewing Company
200 Dousman Street
Green Bay, WI 54301
- This is Green Bay, home of the Packers, so you have to choose very carefully to find a burger place that is up to the Super Bowl reputation of the area. One that the great Lombardi himself would find acceptable. Titletown Brewing Company is known for it’s historic location and impressive five story building, once the home of Chicago & Northwestern Rail Road. Besides being the biggest restaurant around they are also known for having the biggest, fresh made pretzels in America.
- But Titletown Bewing Company has a reputation far and wide for their awesome hamburgers, developed by Chef Jeffery Schermetzler. You can build your own burger anyway you like and they will cook it fresh just for you or you can try one of Jeffery’s special’s. I can say that the “Spicy Elk Burger” will be one of the most unique and memorable you have ever tried.
Captain Mike’s Beer & Burger Bar
5118 6th Avenune
Kenosha, WI 53140
- Like a guiding light, all you have to do for a great burger is follow the light house beacon to a fun experience. There are a lot of burger joints in America and many are a lot of fun to eat at but you have to go a long way to beat Captain Mike’s Beer & Burger Bar for a truly fun time. The atmosphere is just plain crazy. You can spend hours looking at all the wonderful memorabilia and decor inside. And as far as adult beverages go₀well just name it and I am sure they have it. Now when it comes to hamburgers, they serve only Fresh, Hormone Free, Organic Grass Fed beef in a 5 ounce or 8 ounce patty. If you’re feeling exotic you can choose Kobe beef instead. And some of the most unique burger concoctions you can imagine (the names are just as wild too).
- I love the unique offerings, but one stood out as really different for me. The Bobandi Burger is really something, take their juicy beef patty and stuff the center with Velveeta cheese and crispy peppered bacon. Then dip it in a beer batter, and deep fry it to a golden brown. Is that different, or what?
2 Doors Down
118 East 17th Street
Cheyenne, WY 82001
- In a town filled with cookie cutter franchise burger places, it is refreshing to find a real gourmet burger joint in downtown Cheyenne. Jerry Innis was not satisfied with just having the best pizza place in Cheyenne he also wanted to build a world class burger joint and he did. It may seem that Wyoming is kind of remote for a real gourmet place but you will be pleased and surprised with 2 Doors Down. The ½ pound beef burger is a real winner but they also have a Salmon and a Tuna burger plus a lot of specialty hamburgers, that Jerry put together himself.
- I think the “Towering Inferno” is worthy of receiving the award as one of the Best in America. Start with that crusty Angus beef patty, add a Mexican Chorizo grilled patty, caramelized onions as well as crispy fried onions, Jalapeno’s, Tomato, Lettuce and a tangy chipotle mayo with a dash of hot sauce and Oh My₀ Oh, I almost forgot, the french fries are “Bottomless,” that is if you have room for more than the first order.
World Famous Wonderbar
256 South Center Street
Casper, WY 82601
- Open Mon-Sat 11am – 11pm
- The Old West is not dead, just stop by the Wonderbar and see for yourself. You don’t need a cowboy hat to get in but if you’re not wearing one you will definitely stick out. I love this place, it is real and authentic from the metal ceilings to the antique bar and decor. Only the TV sets give it away that you are not in 1890 Wyoming. No chuck wagon could ever do it better than the flame broiled, hand formed, always fresh ½ pound hamburgers you will get here. I can’t list all the burgers they offer or the many ways you can order it.
- How many places can pull off a two pound burger and do it well? That is the “W.B.B.F.B,” on the largest bun you will ever see. For me it is the Smuggler’s Burger, with no bun but covered with their red skinned mashed potatoes. Add beer braised onions, cover it with cheese and pour lots of mushroom brown gravy over the top…nothing like it.
Library Sports Grille and Brewery
201 East Custer Street
Laramie, WY 82070
- A real cowboy town with real cowboy food and the ½ pound burgers reflect that. Library Sports Grille and Brewery uses fresh ground beef for their hamburgers, hand patty it and cook it to order. They will only cook medium well, which was the only fault I could find.
- You can order it your way of try one of the specials they have like the tasty Grilled Cheese Burger. The half-pound patty placed between two thick grilled cheese sandwiches made with sourdough bread and filled with cheddar and provolone cheese. Add the waffle cut fries and a pickle and you have a real chuck wagon meal.
Who Serves Your Favorite Hamburger?
Tell me about your favorite hamburger restaurant. Why is it special?
If I like it, I will add it to this list, which is also included in The Complete Hamburger, second edition.
Hamburgers and Fast Food!
Learn more about The Complete Hamburger.